Saturday, November 28, 2009

Destination...UNKNOWN.

"RETURN TO HOME BASE ,READY BOAT FOR HOIST".

This coded message was a big surprise to all of us that were on patrol that morning. PBR-139 and PBR 142 just reached their station when I received this message. We were at the mouth of the Ham Luong River when this message came. Without hesitation, I turned the steering wheel to starboard and steered PBR 142 to a north-westernly heading to rendezvous with the USS Hunderton County which by now was steaming towards the mouth of the Ham Luong River.

PBR 139 was ahead of me, and most of the boats had already been hoisted on board when PBR 139 and PBR 142 made the rendezvous. PBR 142 was the last to be hoisted. As I climbed the "JACOB'S LADDER", my mind can't help but wonder, "Where the HELL are we going?!"

This was around the last week of April 1968." On board, we were told that our destination will be known once we get there. However, as soon as the ship entered the South China Sea and made a turn to "PORT", I knew that we were heading up NORTH. The next morning, after having a good NAVY BREAKFAST, I went up the main deck and took deep breaths of the fresh sea air. I watched the sun rise above the horizon from the starboard, and Vietnam's Eastern Coast was within view at the port side. Viewing this coastal scenery brought back memories merely a year ago.

By heart, I knew most of the landmarks on this coast, as well as the possible dangers within 15 nautical miles off the shorelines. These waters were my stomping grounds on board the USS CALIENTE (AO-56).


POINT ST. JACQUES or "VUNG TAU", NHA TRANG, QUINHON, DA NANG, CAMRANH and CHU LAI are all located on this eastern shore that ends up to the TONKIN GULF. I was now sure that one of those places were our destination. Exactly WHICH one was still the question.


Guessing got me nowhere, so, I put my mind to rest and accepted the fact that, "...regardless of place, it is "CHARLIE" that we'll be facing with." This made me more EAGER to reach our destination and finish what we were here for.

FINAL DESTINATION..........I can't recall the exact number of days we've stayed at sea. It was more or less four (4) to five (5) days. During this time, it was the ship's "IMC" that became the MOST ANTICIPATED sound through out the ship. The sound of the "BOSUN'S PIPE" playing "ALL HANDS", followed by this announcement:


"Tomorrow the ship will be at the mouth of QUI NHON BAY. Qui Nhon is our destination." This still remains vividly in my mind.

That evening went so fast. I was up before "reveille" was piped down. Soon as I dressed up, anticipation brought me to the main deck to watch the USS HUNTERDON COUNTY make her approach towards the mouth of QUI NHON BAY. As I stood there I watched the shoreline and what I saw was a picture of calmness and serenity.

However, my mind says otherwise. I knew that this is only a mask that cover the dangers that lies within. This is no longer the MEKONG RIVER wherein the enemies are SCATTERED and stretched along it's endless banks. This is now QUI NHON BAY, wherein the enemies are are WELL ENTRENCHED and confined within it's shoreline. Hunting the enemies is NO LONGER a TASK. They're HERE, and the question is who'll play the roles of "CAT" or "MOUSE".

QUI NHON BAY is an added chapter of RIVERINE WARFARE AND I'm trully honored to be a part of it. The morning muster was longer than usual. LT. GEORGE STEFFENCAVAGE and all his staff were present. "BIG GEORGE" was very specific with the details of this "operation". The word "VIETCONG" did not cause any of us to heed, however, the mention of "NORTH VIETNAM'S REGULARS", pumped blood to my head and adrenalin to my veins...Is this caused by "FEAR"? By this time, I can honestly say that I no longer have any fear for the enemy. I have encountered and engaged the enemies in countless firefights and in worst situations that could be imagined.

Through these experiences, I've learned that "FEAR" is what you think and made something out of it. "FEAR" is merely a product of imagination. If allowed to linger, "FEAR" will control your well being hence diminishing your grasp of reality, which inevitably turns into "PANIC", when "PANIC" sets in, that is whe "DISASTER" happens. To say, "TO FEAR IS HUMAN" is not appropriate in VIETNAM nor in any war. Considering ours or any soldiers' situation that's either be a casualty or killed in action (KIA), fear is an invitation for disaster. Nonetheless, I have no wish to be included in any of these situations. I've learned to trust my "GUT FEELINGS" and never allow myself to be persuaded nor be inclined to take the least favorable view of any situation(s) unfolding in front and around me. This kept my composure un-pesturbed even in the midst of battle.

This fact was literally expressed in my evaluation that says, "QM1 TRONO IS COOL IN BATTLE". A tap on my shoulder made me realize that the briefing have ended. Honestly, I was not able to pay any attention with the briefing, my mind became pre-occupied with the "NORTH VIETNAM'S REGULARS" and the urge to do battle with them was so strong within me. Only the voice that says, "HEY HUK LET'S GET SOME BREAKFAST, THIS COULD BE A LONG, LONG DAY", woke me up from my reverie, that voice gave me the assurance of safety for the days ahead and the offer was as earnest as it can be. It can only came from my best friend and partner, EN2 ROY K. DAVIS, BOAT CAPTAIN OF PBR 139. I turned and gave him a smile and said, "SURE"and down to the mess deck we went. Anyway, a good breakfast often leads to a good day, and this is what I'm looking forward to see. Our first patrol in QUI NHON BAY was merely for familiarization with the waterways.

We explored the entire area and made mental notes of all the possible dangers that we could possibly enco. FISH TRAPS in all varieties congest the water area and locations of SANDBAR'S gave us the most concern. Depending on the tides, hence they are often mislocated. This becomes so dangerous particularly during night patrols. Inland or the western side of QUI NHON BAY lies the city of QUI NHON, which we considered as the "friendly side". Adjacent to the SOUTH CHINA SEA lies it's eastern banks wherein the enemies were entrenched throughout it's shores. With trees and heavy foliage of bushes and wild gross that cover the area, this is a perfect sactuary for the enemies. Wreckage and ruins of fallen brick houses compounded the dangers that lie within. needless to say, all our firefights and SNIPER SHOTS came from this area.

This, however, worked to our favor because it made certain where the enemies are. Hence, the "Operation" was focused on this eastern shores of QUI NHON BAY. In lieu of this, it is now just the question of time to get this "Operation" unfold. I can honestly say that we are all excited for this operation to get started. The "question of time" was answered that evening when the "ROK (Republic Of Korea) TIGER DIVISION" came on board. We all knew that tomorrow will be the "D -DAY""BRIEFING" was held that same evening. Details of the "OPERATION" were discussed. Each PBR was given each assigned position with members of the "TIGER DIVISION" assault team on board. PBR-142 had the honor to have the "ROK" GENERAL on board.

Again, that evening went so fast. I was AGAIN up before reveille was piped. I went to the main deck and watched the sun as it breaks out of the horizon. I watched it rise and felt the warmth of it's golden rays touching my face. For a sailor, these warmth and brilliance are harbingers of a good day. As my mind wanders in the reverie, a tap on my shoulder brought me back to reality. As ever, the tap came from my partner, EN2 ROY K. DAVIS. With a grin on his face, he asked, "HUK ARE YOU WORRIED?" I replied, "Nah!"

He then replied, "WELL THEN, LET'S GET SOME CHOW BEFORE THE "ROKS"GET IN THE MESS DECK. "


Next: "The ASSAULT..."












No comments:

Post a Comment