Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The ASSAULT...












Soon as we finished our NAVY breakfast, EN2 Davis and I hurriedly went to our boats.

By this time, both our crrews (PBR-139 and PBR-142) were already done with their intial check-ups. Both the gunners AND engineers gave us the THUMBS UP. With this, I went to the cockpit and swung the helm to port and starboard and watched the BOW move from side-to-side. I then revved BOTH engines, and the SOUND they made ERASED all the lingering doubts within me.


As I watched the ROK (Republic Of Korea) Assault team board the boats, I became more confident that today will be JUDGEMENT DAY for the enemy. Soon as all the ROK's were onboard, all lines were casted off...AND THE OPERATION HAD OFFICIALLY BEGUN!!!


All units of River Section 532 participated in this operation. With the ROK Tiger Division on board, it was truly a SIGHT TO SEE. I'm sure the enemies were in AWE and SURPRISED to see this sight on the waters of Qui Nhon Bay.


As we made the turn to starboard and headed towards the Eastern banks, The ROK General made his way and positioned himself beside my Front Gunner. Within 25 meters away from the beachhead, I placed both engines oon IDLE and allowed the boat to slowly glide towards the beachhead. As the keel grinded on the soft sand, the ROK General STOOD UP and looked at all the boats which were at this time were simultaneously landing on the beachhead.


Seeing this, the ROK General raised his BATON and pointed towards the Eastern shores. Like MARAUDING ANTS, the ROK Tiger Division were on the beach, hence making their sweep with "NO STONES LEFT UNTURNED" in their path. Within a few minutes they were inside the foliage.


Meanwhile, the "ROK GENERAL" with his staff and units (BOATS) remained on the beach head. Within minutes, sporadic gunfire are heard. The ROK General looked around and saw an open spot with the RUINS of an old BRICK HOUSE still standing in the middle. The ruin was approximately 35 meters from the beach head and after a brief discussion, they ROKS) decided to use it (RUIN) as a makeshift "COMMAND POST" instead of standing on the beach. The "ROK GENERAL" turned and motioned to me to come with him,With this, I turned to my crew and said, "OKAY, I'LL BE WITH THE GENERAL, KEEP A GOOD EYE ON THE BEACH." I jumped off my boat and joined the KOREANS walk towards the ruin.


With an improvised chair made from rubble, The General sat while his staff stood guard. I could hardly understand the radio communications, but just by looking at their BODY LANGUAGE and HAND GESTURES accompanied by the sound of GUNFIRE all around, I could tell that they were inflicting HEAVY CASUALTIES towards the enemy.


It was mid-afternoon when members of the ROK assault team started coming out of the foliage. With mud and dirt on their faces as well as uniforms soaked in sweat, they were definitely in for a "fight". After making their reports, the KOREANS made a human barricade around the ruins. When we got there, for whatever reason, the "ROK GENERAL" started pointing his "baton" towards the cement tiles on the floor.

With this, one of the staff member started tapping each tile with a stick until the middle of the floor was reached. He then looked at one of his soldiers and ordered him to PRY the tiles open. As each tile came off the floor, an OPEN HOLE started to come on sight. With four (4) tiles pried off, a tunnel-like entrance came into view. With ALL GUNS pointed at the entrance the interpreter started shouting orders. To our surprise, one by one the enemies started to come out. There were five (5) of them. Three (3) males and two (2) females.


THE ENEMIES WERE UNDERNEATH US!!!


One of the male enemies was still wearing his gray uniform (NORTH VIETNAMESE REGULAR). Questions were asked but without answers. With this, one of the staff member un-sheathed his "machete" and with a cutting stroke SLASHED the left leg of the enemy in gray. As the enemy fell on the floor, he loaded his M-16 with a fully loaded magazine, pointed the nozzle towards the same enemy, and FIRED until the MAGAZINE was EMPTY. Questions were AGAIN asked. Receiving no answers, another staff (ROK) grabbed ANOTHER male prisoner and dragged him inside the foliage. Within minutes, the staff member returned to our group wiping the BLOOD off his BAYONET. When the interrogation re-started, the last male enemy was SINGING LIKE A CANARY.

It was already late in the afternoon when all members of the "TIGER DIVISION" returned to the makeshift "COMMAND POST" with some enemies in tow. Orders were given to return to the boats, thus signalling the CONCLUSION of the military operations.

Back to the ship (HUNTERDON COUNTY), the sight that I've witnessed on the beach just wouldn't leave my mind. As I shared this episode with my crew and friends, all of them listened with awe and disbelief. That same evening, we were assembled in the mess deck for a little celebration. To our surprise, the mayor of QUI NHON CITY showed up and delivered a short "THANK YOU" speech. He personally expressed his gratitude to us as well as the "TIGER DIVISION" for the clean-up operations of QUI NHON BAY and it's shorelines.

As a token of gratitude, the mayor declared "QUI NHON CITY" as an "OPEN CITY" for us. Furthermore, RIVER SECTION 532 was made an HONORARY MEMBER of South Korea's TIGER DIVISION. Needless to say, that evening was "LIBERTY TIME" for all of us. What we did that night is for your guessing. "SAILORS GONNA BE SAILORS IF TIME PERMITS." Honestly, we all had a good time. If you know what I mean..

For the men of RIVER SECTION 532? I can't ask for more. The "versatility and aptitude" of the officers and men of RIVER SECTION 532 are without question the "X FACTORS" that brought success to every operation that we've participated. I am forever honored to be one of this special breed of sailors - THE BROWN WATER SAILORS OR THE RIVER RATS.

For the TIGER DIVISION? Well, long before the "QUI NHON BAY OPERATION", I've heard war stories about the "SOUTH KOREAN ARMY" OR "ROK" and their FEROCITY in battle. In these stories, it was said that the "ENEMIES CHOOSE DEATH RATHER THAN BEING CAPTURED BY THE ROK ARMY". This wasn't a story after all, it's the TRUTH. Within a short period of time that we've operated with them (ROK) , I was truly impressed with their discipline, particularly in battle. Their "KICK ASS" attitude sows fear to the enemy. I consider it a privilege to work with them anytime, anywhere.

For the captured enemies? Honestly, I'm not too concerned with their fate. Nonetheless, I have be-friended a member of the TIGER DIVISION and I called him "CHARLIE". I asked "CHARLIE" what became of the captured enemies ?


With a grin on his face and in broken english he replied, " In helicopter they TRY to ESCAPE..."


All I can say was, "Oh, is that so?". However, up to this present time, I am puzzled each time I come to think of it. I can't imagine how those enemies ESCAPED, because while on board the helicopter, the ONLY way to ESCAPE was to JUMP OFF and land in the SOUTH CHINA SEA.

For QUI NHON BAY? Here in QUI NHON BAY that I've learned that "FEELING SAFE IS NOT SAFE AT ALL". "FEELING SAFE" creates "COMPLACENCY", and"COMPLACENCY" has no place in war. This could only mean, "A SPACE INSIDE A BODY BAG".

Within a day or two, all the boats (PBR) were again hoisted back onboard. Upon completion, the ship's anchor was heaved, the colors was shifted and hoisted at the "GAP" and once again the USS HUNTERDON COUNTY(LST 821) was underway. As she clears the mouth of QUI NHON BAY, a starboard turn was made and headed towards a southerly direction. Again speculations were buzzing, but it was shortlived. Once the ship steadied on her course, "ALL HANDS" was piped followed by this announcement, "THE SHIP WILL MAKE A PORT VISIT AT NHA TRANG. LIBERTY WILL BE GRANTED IF TIME ALLOWS". This put our minds to rest and speculated on the "GOOD TIMES" in NHA TRANG. NHA TRANG was merely a passing scene for us. This was MAY 1968, only four (4) months since "TET". The enemies are still full of fight and the streets of NHA TRANG are as dangerous as ever, particularly at night. I can't recall if there was a "curfew" being implemented.

Nonetheless, our liberty was limited before sundown. Now we are faced with this dilemna. Is liberty worth the risk of being shot by the enemy in the streets of NHA TRANG? Honestly, all of us took the risk. Before the sun touches the horizon, "MUSTER" was taken. When the presence of "ALL HANDS" was accounted for, once again the ship's anchor was heaved and the USS HUNTERDON COUNTY was again on a south bound course towards the HAM LUONG RIVER. Within a day or two, we are back in the HAM LUONG. As days, weeks and months passes by, my tour in VIETNAM is slowly coming to an end.

With this, I am now faced with the hardest decision in my life: "Am I going to let my tour END or am I going to EXTEND?"

I'm hesitant to mention nor discuss this idea with my friends because I knew exactly what they'll say, "ARE YOU CRAZY?"

However, my WILL TO FIGHT for my country OVERWHELMS my fear of death. "LOGIC says no, but my heart says yes ". Soon enough I have my answer. I've discussed this notion with one of the NAVAL OFFICERS of our RIVER SECTION. This officer was LT PARKER. I've discussed lot of things with him before. Our discussions were enjoyable and at times, EDUCATIONAL in nature. LT. PARKER was open and positive as always even with my idea of "EXTENSION". In lieu of this, my request for "extension of duty in Vietnam" was filed. This was around July 1968. With a positive psychiatrist evaluation, my extension of duty was "APPROVED".

No comments:

Post a Comment