Tuesday, June 23, 2009

FIREFIGHT at TINH LUONG RIVER




It was a HOT and HUMID day with intermittent rain. This added more inconveniences to our life at My Tho, South Vietnam. The meal for lunch was not the cause for my stomach to churn, but rather, it was the WORDS that was passed around the mess hall. These words were: "RIVER SECTION 532, WILL SEND UNITS INSIDE TINH LUONG RIVER TONIGHT."


This was August 18, 1968.


The villages along the banks of the Tinh Luong River were considered as the Vietcong's SPHERE OF INFLUENCE. These villages were known to be the stomping grounds of the Vietcong's "ZAPPER SQUAD", and due to that, units of other River Sections have been ambushed and suffered heavy casualties in that river. Hence, the mere mention of "Tinh Luong River" caused my stomach to churn, and I felt chills run down my spine.


I was sure that the other PBR crews of River Section 532 felt the same, PARTICULARLY those scheduled for the night patrol. Unfortunately, PBR-142 and PBR-139 WERE SCHEDULED FOR NIGHT PATROL - THAT NIGHT!!!


I went straight to our room. My gunner, GMG2 Dave Meshako was sitting at the edge of his bunk. He looked at me and said "Did you hear it?" I knew EXACTLY what he meant and responded "Yes, I did. Let's hope it WON'T be us. Get some rest. We might need it tonight."


As all the Boat Captains gathered for the "night briefing", all their faces had the look of ANXIETY. That included me. "BIG GEORGE" himself gave the briefing. I'm referring to Lt. GEORGE STEFFENCAVAGE, USN, the "Officer-In-Charge" or "OIC" of River Section 532. He was a BIG man, and wearing the "green fatigue" uniform, he was like a "G.I. Joe" character come to life. Also with him was LT (JG) KEN NELSON, USN who was new to the country, and he would also have his first patrol that night.


Big George's words were FIRM and STRAIGHT. "Tonight, River Section 532 is tasked to go INSIDE TINH LUONG RIVER. Lt. Nelson will ride PBR-139 and I will ride PBR-142. Inside Tinh Luong River , the REST of the unit will PATROL their respective areas. Be on standby. Are there ANY questions?"


Only sighs of RELIEF from the other b Boat Captains broke the silence. With this, Big George confirmed "If there's none, then LET'S GO."


EN2 Davis looked at me and said "Let's go, Huk." I gave him a nod and said "I'll make sure my 'first aid box' has enough painkillers (MORPHINE). We might need it tonight." Honestly, I couldn't explain WHAT I was feeling that night. I would be a HYPOCRITE to say that FEAR was not a part of it. The previous reports of an AMBUSH and casuaties, as well as scenarios of what COULD possibly happen at Tinh Luong River started flashing in my mind. NERVOUS? OF COURSE I WAS!!!


The twenty (20) minutes drive to the boat pool gave me enough time to put myself in the proper state of mind, place everything in perspective. I said to myself "George, you have SURVIVED all the FIREFIGHTS during the TET OFFENSIVE, BENTRE RIVER QUI NHON BAY and all the other corners of the MEKONG. Tinh Luong is JUST ANOTHER RIVER. Trust your instincts, and DON'T HESITATE. Your 'GUARDIAN ANGEL' will be there to guide you."


That moment of reverie was broken by "Okay, we're HERE." by the driver. At the boat pool, the mere presence of LT. George Steffencavage was enough for my crew to know that it was into Tinh Luong River we will go. A proper SALUTE was given by my crew as "Big George" stepped aboard PBR-142. Once on board, I placed my 'first aid box' on the deck, in front of the HELM (steering wheel). This is what I always STAND on to have a clear view.


As the lines were 'cast-off' I swung my boat around the boat pool's pier, and steered PBR-142 in a WESTERNLY direction, following the dimming rays of the setting sun. As darkness started to loom, I looked upwards and observed the formation of the DARK CLOUDS spreading across the Vietnam Sky. With this, feelings of encouragement started to creep into my veins, anabling my SENSES to be as keen as a CAT in the dark. This would be a MOONLESS night and this only showed that the weather was starting to turn the odds in our favor. My confidence became stronger knowing that my 'GUARDIAN ANGEL' was already somewhere in Tinh Luong River to make sure that everything would be alright.


The initial hours were spent doing what a regular night patrol does: drifting and 'speed run' along the banks. The sun had already set, hence my concern was NOT the RIVER TRAFFIC, but rather the 'watchful eyes' of the SNIPER(S) that were well hidden and camouflaged somewhere along the river bank. With this in mind, I was careful not to make any patterns that could give away indication of our plan to enter the Tinh Luong River. LT. STEFFENCAVAGE was calm and casual. He never interfered in the way I was handling my boat. I admired and respected him more for that.


At 23oo hours, "Big George" sent a coded message for PBR-139 to come alongside. Within minutes, PBR-139 was alongside. "Big George" gave us the final 'rundown' of his plan to enter the Tinh Luong. There were some questions asked, but we were all assured. When all the details were clearly understood by everyone, "Big George's" last words were "OK, let's GO, and good luck."


At that moment I looked up and observed the moon as it hid behind the darkened clouds. I knew that this was the signal to make our move towards the river's entrance and start this GAME of "Cat and Mouse". I often dream about this particular moment, and I can still vividly recollect this event in my thoughts.


As PBR-142 made her way inside the Tinh Luong River, PBR-139 remained momentarily at the mouth with her engines on idle. As planned, the sound of her engines would be the "RUSE" to confuse the Vietcong as to WHERE the PBRs supposed whereabouts. And to be in tune with this, I placed my engines on SLOW SPEED. I used my radar INTERMITTENTLY, just enough to see and interpret all the "dots and blips" on the screen.


LT. STEFFENCAVAGE was standing on the engine cover, keeping an eye for SLIGHT MOVEMENTS on the banks on BOTH sides of the river. PBR-142 was approximately 50 meters inside the Tinh Luong when I checked my radar screen again.


On the screen were three (3) "DOTS" that where NOT THERE BEFORE. These "dots" were in an "inverted V" position and approximately fifty (50) meters from us. I quickly put the engines on IDLE and told my FORWARD GUNNER, "Dave, I have CONTACTS DEAD AHEAD. Check it out."


Big George hurriedly stepped inside the cockpit and checked the "dots" himself. By this time, my forward gunner looked through the STARLIGHT and said "They're just FISH STAKES". I goosed the engines back to SLOW SPEED, without taking my eyes away from the radar screen.


But my "gut feeling" was telling me OTHERWISE. I again placed the engines on idle and told my forward gunner "Dave, look AGAIN". Those three (3) dots were now within 25 meters from us, and still maintaining an inverted V formation. SILHOUETTES were now slowly taking form when my gunner yelled "VIETCONG!!!"


In a SPLIT SECOND, Big George popped a flare, and as BRIGHT AS DAYLIGHT, there they were: THREE (3) LARGE SAMPANS EACH CARRYING A FULL OAD OF VIETCONG AND NORTH VIETNAMESE REGULARS!!!


There were AT LEAST ten (10) hostiles on each sampan. I ordered "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!!!" and all HELL BROKE LOOSE!!!


With one (1) enemy boat AHEAD and one (1) on EACH SIDE, I knew that my initial manuevers would be CRUCIAL. My "gut feeling" overwhelmed me and dictated my actions. I goosed both engines on FULL SPEED and headed STRAIGHT towards the ENEMY BOATS on my STARBOARD, then swung LEFT TO PORT towards the boat ahead and to my port.


The "WAKE" that my boat, PBR-142, made on FULL SPEED, combined with the SUDDEN TURN to port caused the enemy's boats to ROLL, thus they were UNABLE to HOLD STEADY and negated any clear line of fire. Meanwhile, Big George and my crew were busy firing our guns! Our aim was STEADY and DEADLY, causing fear and death to the enemy. As I side-swiped the THIRD boat on my starboard, PBR-139 with LT. Ken Nelson was already taking on and firing at the other two (2) boats left on my flank. The PROXIMITY of the firefight was SO CLOSE that you could hear the MOANS of dying enemies when they were hit by the rounds of our .50-Cal guns.


Flare after flare were popped, making the battle scene lit like the 4th of July. PBR-142 and PBR-139 kept RUNNING and FIRING in circles until ALL the sampans were empty. What was left of the enemies PANICKED and jumped into the river. Now I knew that the Vietcong WEREN'T SO TOUGH after all! They couldn't even defend or hold their own turf.


Like all of us, they were also AFRAID TO DIE. However, thinking that they would be safe in the water was wrong. DEAD WRONG. I was certain to make sure that their mistake of seeking refuge in the waters of Tinh Luong would be the LAST MISTAKE they would make. As I stated before, I was not an "Ambassador of Good Will", rather, I was here for the kill. Soon, U.S. Army GUNSHIPS were hovering above, and helped illuminate the scene of battle. I could no longer recall HOW MANY gunships there were, but some of them took on the enemies on the banks on both sides of the river. The noise of their ROTOR BLADES were a welcome sound that night.


It was only then that I noticed that battle was OVER. Big George ordered "CEASE FIRE!!! Look for 'SWIMMERS'!!!"


I placed both engines on IDLE and looked around for PBR-139. Seeing her AFLOAT with engines running drew from a huge SIGH OF RELIEF, knowing that my BEST FRIEND, EN2 Davis, and his crew, as well as LT. Ken Nelson were out of harm's way.


I ordered my crew to remain in their "battle stations" and stepped out of the cockpit to make a quick check around my boat. While at the BOW, I accidentally TAPPED the barrels of one of the .50-Cals. They were STILL HOT and caused a slight BURN on the palm of my right hand. On my way to the stern, my AFTER GUNNER pointed at something bobbing up and down iin the water within five (5) ASTERN. My .38-Cal took care of that "SOMETHING", and that "SOMETHING" wasn't bobbing anymore.


To make sure that all the "swimmers" STAYED UNDERWATER, Big George ordered "Okay, throw CONCUSSION GRENADES!!!" And throw we did. When all was clear, and all signs of the enemy erased, Big George called for PBR-139 to come alongside. We made a quick check for damages, and for any casualties on our side. Besides the PAINT SCRAPES, on the starboard side, PBR-142 had NONE. However, PBR-139 had one (1). EN3 JORDAN, BOAT ENGINEER suffered a LACERATION on theSHIN of his RIGHT LEG. After Big George finished his radio conversation with the Army Zone Commander and the Gunships, he turned to us and said "GOOD JOB GUYS. Let's go HOME and call it QUITS for tonight."


By this time the FLARES were getting DIM and the water around us were GLEAMING with BLOOD. As PBR-142 sliced through this "pool of blood", I turned my radar on and said "Thanks for being my EYES in the DARK." As we exited the Tinh Luong River, I turned the helm to port and steered PBR-142 to an easternly heading towards My Tho. I goosed both engines on FULL SPEED and soon we were making headway. I looked astern and looked at the STARS AND STRIPES standing tall and flying as proud as ever. After the boats were properly secured inside the Boat Pool, Big George's PARTING WORDS were " Get a good night's sleep. You're ALL EXCUSED from the morning muster."


As I stepped on the pier, I looked up and saw the MOON peek out from behind the clouds as if GIVING me a SMILE. I returned the smile and said " Thanks for being on MY SIDE tonight."


NEXT: The morning after...

No comments:

Post a Comment