Tuesday, June 30, 2009

The MORNING after...

"Chicken Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnn!!! He's EVERYWHERE, He's EVERYWHERE!!!"


That was a VERY welcome sound that morning. I knew that "Chicken Man" was the start of a new day. My crew was still asleep, so I cleaned and dressed up to catch the last serving of breakfast. I stopped by EN2 Davis' room, but he was already out. As I stepped inside the improvised MESS HALL, I could feel all eyes staring at me. The BATTLE AT TINH LUONG was already known and was the topis of conversation for everyone inside the mess hall. I could see in their eyes the PRIDE and JOY they felt towards me.


Suddenly, a familiar voice came out saying "Hey Huk! Get your ASS down here!" Well, what more could I say? My tray was full and there was nothing better than to sit down with my best friend while FEASTING on the "Good Ol' Navy Chow".


Late in the afternoon, both crews of PBR-142 and PBR-139 were told to take four (4) days off BUT TO STAY WITHIN THE HEADQUARTERS COMPOUND AT ALL TIMES. Undoubtedly, this was to let the Tinh Luong incident COOL DOWN. Needless to say, the Vietcong were SO PISSED that they would try ANYTHING to even up the score.


On the morning of the fourth day, we were informed that twenty-seven (27) bodies floated in the Tinh Luong River. Vietcong were known to carry the bodies of their dead comrades out of the battlefield to CONCEAL THEIR LOSSES. Nevertheless, the number wasn't bad for one (1) firefight. I CUT A NOTCH on the handle of my .38-Cal pistol. This was for that "something" that was bobbing in the water. I'm DAMN SURE of that one.


After having lunch, both crews of PBR-142 and PBR-139 went to the boat pool to get the our boats ready for next day's patrol. As usual, my "transistor radio" was playing as we did our chores. Consequently, "Radio Hanoi" was on the air and "Hanoi Hannah" was blasting away with her usual "war news" in english.


Most of it were propagandas detailing the Vietcong "victories" in the battlefield and one of which was the Battle of Tinh Luong including the American Casualties". We laughed at it and simultaneously said, "You Lying Bitch". I shooked my head and changed the station to the "FAR EAST NETWORK" or "FEN". The song that was playing was more encouraging and soothing to my ears." 'TYRONE DAVIS' was just starting his rendition of "BABY LET ME CHANGE MY MIND".


This trully made me laugh because I am now on my first month of extension of duty in VIETNAM. It is rather too late for me to change my mind. This song became a part of me. O made sure to have a copy of it at this time. Each time I play it, all the memories of VIETNAM, particularly the'BATTLE AT TINH LUONG' starts flashing in my mind. For the VIETCONG? Well, Good Luck next time" However, unless they will have eyes in the dark, the odds remain same and still, 'THEIR ASSES ARE GRASS'. For EN2 DONALD DAVIS and the crews of PBR 142 and PBR 139? "THEY ARE BEYOND COMPARE". They are the 'DREAM TEAM' that can only be formed inWARTIME. FEAR OF VIETCONG? I honestly doubt that.


The VIETCONG'S blood at TINH LUONG RIVER is the testimony that ",IT'S THE OTHER WAY AROUND'. FOR LT. GEORGE STEFFEN CAVAGE and LT. KEN NELSON? This I can proudly say,"THEY ARE NOT ONLY OFFICERS AND GENTLEMEN, THEY HAVE "GUTS". This is same with, CAPT. FUSCALDO, LT RICHARD CRAGG,LT. JAN GILBERTSON,LT A.W. CHIARUTTINI, LT. PARKER and other officers that served in the "RIVERINE FORCE". THEY ARE A CUT ABOVE THE REST.


I consider it an honor to serve these NAVAL OFFICERS in VIETNAM or in any war that may come. We might be world apart at this present time or we might not be able to see each other in this lifetime, nonetheless in my reveries and dreams they all come to life. These memories will stay with me even in my after life.


Next: "USS Hunderton County (LST-821)..."

No comments:

Post a Comment