Monday, June 22, 2009

L.R.R.P. United States Army Long Range Reconnaisance Patrol


Besides the "Green Berets", the U.S. Army had other Special Forces deployed in South Vietnam. One of the these were the Long Range Reconnaisance Patrol, or the L.R.R.P.s


Similar to the Navy S.E.A.L. s, the L.R.R.P.s operated INSIDE enemy territory. Considering that the most feasible access to these areas were the river waterways, the U.S. Navy PBR's are often requested to assist in the "INSERTION and RECOVERY" operations. In these operations, PBR-142 and PBR-139 became acquainted with the L.R.R.P. team based at Dong Tam, South Vietnam. In one of these operations, there was an INCIDENT that often mingles with my memories of Vietnam. This was NOT about a FIREFIGHT, but rather, about the TRAGIC DEATH of a member of the L.R.R.P. The following is my account of that incident...


I cannot recall the EXACT date, or day that this incident happened. I'd been in Vietnam for over a YEAR, and now within six (6) months of EXTENDED duty. My body and mind were already conditioned to that ardous job, and KEEPING TRACK OF TIME was no concern. "Come What May" became my attitude towards life, and having a glimpse of tomorrow was the least of my worries. My only concern at that time was to FIGHT and KILL the enemy, that was all.


This happened about the later part of Sept. 1968, almost a month after the PBR-142 and PBR-139 had a FIERCE FIREFIGHT with the Vietcong at the TINH LUONG RIVER. The briefing for the night patrols were the usual Vietcong's activities in My Tho, Dong Tam, Tinh Luong and adjacent villages. The villages along the Tinh Luong River were considered the "SPHERES OF INFLUENCE" of the enemy, hence becoming a BIG concern for the nearby U.S. Army base at Dong Tam.


In lieu of this, the Army requested the assistance of a PBR team for the "insertion and recovery" of their L.R.R.P. team inside the Tinh Luong River. Upon hearing this, I knew EXACTLY what the Briefing Officer's next words were going to be: "PBR's 142 and 139 will pick up the L.R.R.P. team at Dong Tam at 2200 hours. Coordinate with the team leader. Keep us informed and good luck." I was right!


On our way to the boat pool, I said to myself "Yeah, we're gonna NEED all our LUCK. I'll be calling my 'guardian angels' again." I was sure that this was the same thought running through the mind of EN2 Donald Davis, skipper of PBR-139. This was due to the fact the it was only a month earlier that we found out what was waiting for us inside the Tinh Luong River...


A month before, PBR-142 and PBR-139 made the enemy pay a heavy price. Twenty seven (27) bodies of Vietcong and North Vietnam regulars floated in that river after the fierce encounter with our patrol boats. The stench of death STILL lingered there. The memories of this encounter kept FLASHING BACK in my mind. And as darkness filled the night, I knew something SIMILAR to that encounter could happen. That moment of reverie was broken by the sound of the boat's radio with a coded message that said "Meet you at Dong Tam."


We all looked at each other, and I ASSURED my crew that everything's going to be alright. I turned the boat to port and to Dong Tam we went.


At 2200 hours, PBR-142 and PBR-139 were moored at Dong Tam. After a brief discussion with the team leader, the team members started boarding the PBR's. Considering the fact that SPEED and MOBILITY were the PBR's EDGE against a sudden attack by the enemy, the BOAT Captains opted to have equal numbers of the L.R.R.P. team on each boat. As PBR-142 exited Dong Tam harbor, a question started flashing in my mind: "Will the extra weight affect my handling of PBR-142?" I would soon have that answer...


PBR-139 was the LEAD boat as we entered the Tinh Luong River. I kept PBR-142 within 30 meters ASTERN to provide cover. I turned off the boat's RADAR, and just followed PBRF-139's wake. Soon as PBR-139 off-loaded her troops and was off the river bank, I manuevered PBR-142 to place the STERN towards the river bank, and placed my engine on idle. The last of the L.R.R.P. team gave me a "thumbs-up", and PBR-142 slipped out of the bushes to meet with PBR-139. I was about to come alongside PBR-139 for a brief discussion for our next move, when the sound of RAPID GUNFIRE broke the silence of the night!


All we could hear on our boats' radios were "PICK US UP! PICK US UP!!!"


Within seconds, PBR-139 and PBR-142 were back in the same spot we had dropped them off, and positioned our sterns towards the river bank for pick-up. It was SO DARK that I ordered my gunners to HOLD THEIR FIRE. Splashes on the water caused by running boots were echoing through the heavy bushes and soon we had the L.R.R.P. team scrambling to get onboard.


As soon as my AFTER GUNNER yelled "GEORGE!!! GO! GO! GO!!!" I GOOSED that engine "FULL SPEED" and PBR-142 responded with FULL FORCE and got us out from a possible ambush. I looked astern and saw PBR-139 was riding my wake with ALL GUNS BLAZING!!! My boat's radio was blasting with "MEET YOU IN THE MIDDLE! MEET YOU IN THE MIDDLE!"


Out of Tinh Luong River, I reduced my speed to allow PBR-139 to catch up and come alongside. Only then I became aware that I had more L.R.R.P. members than I dropped off. With PBR-139 alongside, a quick head count was made, and unfortunately, ONE (1) L.R.R.P. team member was MISSING, the RADIO MAN.


During the discussion, it was stated that the he (the Radio man) was ahead of the pack running towards the PBRs. Thus the possibility of him being SHOT was negated. We could only speculate as to what happened to him. Going back to Tinh Loung or head home were the only two options we had. The team leader opted for the latter.


The remaining hours of our patrol were spent discussing/speculating what happened. If he (the radioman) wasn't shot, then he could have DROWNED. W e came to this conclusion after considering these following facts:


(1) He (the radioman) was AHEAD of the pack


(2) The radio was on his back, and...


(3) That the radio was used as a "step" by the other members that followed him.


This idea was so IRONIC, but all the facts pointed to this conclusion. Our answer came about four (4) days later. The body was found, and WITHOUT gunshot wounds. I have no idea how this incident was OFFICIALLY recorded, but up to this present time I can firmly say that our conclusion was RIGHT.


For the radioman, I can say that was "...a HELL of a way to go...". This incident sustained my belief that "You can choose the way you'll be born, but you can't choose the way you'll die.".


I'm always reminded of what my Grandfather, Joe Rourke Herman, once told me: "George, you are the MASTER of that boat. She is your OTHER SELF. Treat her the way you treat yourself, and she'll RESPOND anyway you want her to." The SUPERB performance of our boat, PBR-142, can be highly attributed to EN3 Larry Lafontaine, who kept the two (2) jacuzzi engines in top condition at all times.


For my GUNNERS? What can I say? GMG2 Dave Meshako and GMG3 Williams..."THEY'RE THE BEST!!!" I consider myself VERY LUCKY for having them as part of my crew of PBR-142.


And did I mention something about GUARDIAN ANGELS? Well, I believe that each of us has one. I believe that this is the "gut feeling" that we all have, and manifests itself at the "POINT OF EXTREMIS". It's the feeling that enables us to do the UNEXPECTED, and if you do OTHERWISE, you'll be sorry and say "I should have done that".


In war, if you survive a firefight, people will say you're LUCKY. Surviving two (2) firefights? People will say you're VERY LUCKY. However, surviving three (3), four (4) or more and people will say "You've gotta be KIDDING!"


Well, I ain't kidding...


NEXT: Firefight at TINH LUONG RIVER...

1 comment:

  1. I served with the LRRPs before they moved to Dong Tam in 1967. Do you by chance remember the LRRPs name?

    ReplyDelete