Sunday, December 20, 2009

THE AMBUSH..31 JANUARY 1969




The night patrol started as usual with exchanges of pleasantries among the boat crews of PBR-139 and PBR 142.

BM1 BILL AKIN (WILD BILL) and myself were doing the initial checks of the steering wheel and engines, Satisfied with the tests, "WILD BILL" gave me a thumbs up. In reply, I nod my head and signalled to cast-off all lines. Soon we are underway towards our patrol area north of TRA-CU.

On board PBR 139 was QMc DAWSON. On board my boat (PBR 142 ) and riding as the "PATROL OFFICER" was a NAVAL OFFICER from the river unit stationed at TRA-CU. This was the first time that I've seen this officer and I'm very unfamiliar with his name as well as his discretions on patrol, particularly in a firefight. If there was an option, I much rather have QMc DAWSON as "PATROL OFFICER" that night.

Being in the same RIVER SECTION, all three (3) of us (AKIN, DAWSON AND MYSELF) are familiar with each other. This is important, particularly here at VAM CUU DONG where everything around is unfamiliar to us.

As darkness fall, the chirpings of crickets started to echo around us. The overcast sky didn't help much for illumination. Nonetheless, the surroundings are calm and the river banks on either side showed no movements for us to think otherwise, the passage in our patrol over went without any infractions and showed no premonitions whatsoever of the danger that awaits us. We are on the north bound run and PBR 142 took the lead with PBR 139 trailing approximately 30 meters astern. On our port side lies a village and a refinery warehouse lies on our starboard. A dimly lighted wooden pier is adjacent to the warehouse. As usual I was "ZIGZAGGING". The "PATROL OFFICER" didn't mind this maneuver and been quiet all this time.

My eyes stayed focused on the heavy bushes fronting the village on my port side. My "GUT FEELING" tells me that "if ever an ambush takes place, it will be somewhere along these bushes". I can't forget those flashes of B-40 rockets that came out of those bushes. I was "ZAGGING" to starboard when they all came out and narrowly missed the stern of my boat (PBR 142). Automatically, I goosed both engines to "FULL SPEED" and within seconds PBR 142 was out of the "KILL ZONE".

However, my radio said otherwise. BM1 AKIN'S voice was loud and clear saying, "GEORGE, I'M HIT! I'M SINKING!"

Without hesitation, I swing PBR 142 port and made a 180 degrees turn towards PBR 139. It was only the bow of PBR 139 and it's twin .50 CAL. that were above water and still firing at the enemies position. This sight filled my heart with joy knowing that the forward gunner GMSN CARL GERKIN is still full of fight. I made several firing runs and traded with the enemies fires with fires. I can't keep track of how long this firefight lasted. Nonetheless when the enemies stopped firing. I paused and waited. Assured that the enemies are gone, I came alongside the bow of PBR-139 and summoned GMSN GERKIN to come on board PBR-142. My crew assisted him out of the gunturret and pulled him onboard.

Still in shock, he managed to say, "GEORGE, THEY'RE IN THE WATER!".

Upon hearing this, I swing my boat and made a sweep to search for the crew of PBR-139. Although dimly lit, the light on the wooden pier provided enough brilliance in our search for the crew. BM1 BILL AKIN was the first to be picked out of the water. QMC DAWSON and ENFN CAGLE were next. It was dark and the extent of their injuries cannot be fully determined. Nonetheless, all possible and available medical aide were administered. I knew that there is still a man missing, hence asked BM1 AKIN, "WHERE IS BLAIS?" AKIN'S reply was, "HE'S BADLY HURT, HE'S IN THE WATER!".

With this, I extended our search along the southern edges of the riverbanks within the proximity of the warehouse, this time, we started calling his name. After several sweeps, his whimpers soon been heard hence, leading me towards his location. The sight of him gave me contentment, because I won't be leaving that place without him. I maneuvered my boat (PBR-142) and placed him (BLAIS) astern for pick up. The first attempt was futile. Fortunately, an inflatable rubber mattress was available and became instrumental in scooping "BLAIS" out of the water. Even if it's dark, the glimpse of his injuries were not good at all. As I see it, both his legs were badly shattered and bleeding profusely. All the available and remaining medical aids were administered to him, including shots of morphine.

Realizing that we are in the middle of the river and still within the proximity of the"KILL ZONE", I've decided to look for a safer place. However, I can't allow PBR-139 to be left drifting, so, I swing my boat towards PBR-139. Once alongside it's bow, I told my crew to use anything (line or boat hook) to secure the bow and towed it alongside the wooden pier at the opposite side of the river. Here, we were able to assess the extent of the damages and injuries sustained by the crew of PBR-139.

By this time, GMSN CARL GERKIN has partially recovered from shock and I managed to ask him, "GERK, WHY DIDN'T YOU JUMP?" he looked at me with a smile and said, "ARE YOU KIDDING?I CAN'T FUCKIN' SWIM!".

It didn't take too long for the rescue units (PBR) to arrive. Wasting no time, all the injured were taken on board. All of them, particularly EN3 BLAIS needed medical attention in the soonest of time. Any delays could be fatal. Needless to say, to include the towing of PBR-139 would only slow this transit and at the same time, puts all of us in jeopardy at all times. In lieu of this, I was ordered to remain alongside the wooden pier with the wreckage of PBR-139 until the nest rescue units (PBR) arrives. It was almost dawn when the next units (PBR) arrived. The buzzing and bites of mosquitoes kept us awake all this time. Nonetheless, I am very thankful because these nuisance kept our vigilance well above par during this precarious time.

With PBR-139 in tow, our transit to TRA-CU was considerably slow. Fortunately, the enemy didn't give us any trouble at all. They (enemy) must have had their share of firefight last night and decided to take a break. I was trully glad with this notion, because frankly speaking, "AFTER LAST NIGHT, WE ALSO NEED A BREAK".

While in transit, we were informed that EN3 ROBERT BLAIS PASSED AWAY WHILE IN TRANSIT".

Back in TRA-CU, I couldn't help shedding tears for the loss of my partners and friends. On the other hand, I was very thankful for that "split second" decision to make that 180 degree turn towards PBR-139. Had I hesitated, I'm sure that the enemies will surely make a "TURKEY SHOOT" out of the crew of PBR-139. Undoubtedly, this would result to even more casualties or deaths. Three (3) of our boats and crewmembers were already history at this time, but this didn't stop us from patrolling the VAM CUU DONG. We all knew that without the boats (PBR) the activities at VAM CUU DONG RIVER rests on the enemy's prerogative. Thereby, within a day or two, PBR -142 is back on patrol with the other unit (PBR) as it's new partner in the river. Meanwhile, the remaining units (PBR) of RIVER SECTION 532 are on their way to TRA-CU.

The night of 31 January 1969 is one of the war experiences that remain etched in my mind. Like an illusion, that night started with pleasantries and ended up in tragedy. For a while, we were all full of life, carefree and un-mindful of the hardships of war. In a split of second, we were all fighting for our lives.

The sight of GMSN CARL GERKIN firing his twin .50 CAL in an upside down position at the bow of the sinking PBR-139 is the perfect picturesque of this situation.

This is a "RIVER-RAT" at his finest.

Life is said to be a "SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS" and at the same time"FULL OF SURPRISES". If this is so, then "LIFE" and "WAR" are synonymous to each other. In war, dangers knock at every corner and surprises are plentiful and often deadly. As I see it, War is a school of "unexpected lessons". Lessons that must be learned just as fast as it happened. Failure to understand it could be fatal because the second time around could be your last. "Predicting" the unexpected is the job for a soothsayer, and I ain't one. Nonetheless, I made sure that my mind, body and soul are kept in fine tune with each other and ready as always for the "unexpected" anytime, anywhere and in any form it chooses to come.

2 comments:

  1. lost a brother in arms that night served on 142 that night. EN3 Blais was a great friend




    ReplyDelete
  2. served on pbr 142 that night lost a great friend























    served on pbr 142 that night lost a great friend EN3 Blais






    ReplyDelete