Sunday, December 20, 2009

"C-RATS" AND "JOHN WAYNE "GOOD THINGS COME IN PAIRS

"C-RATS " is synonymous with war.

In all areas of war, "C-RATS" is, and at times the only source of nutrients that keep the soldier's body in peak fighting form. At the same token, the mention of the word "C-RATS" undoubtedly ignited, hence enliven the past memories of war that has been shelved in the farthest chamber of the veteran's mind.

"C-RATS" is "COMBAT-RATIONS". I can honestly say that" C-RATS" is our "daily bread" in VIETNAM . as a boat captain, I always made sure that a box of "C-RATS" is on board for our patrol. The box contains varieties of canned foods such as pork and beans, chicken ,pork scrambled egg, bread, pound cake and etc. Pork and beans is the favorite and most sought after. The taste is not something to crave about. However, with some added ingredients, it becomes quite the delicacy. The canned foods are lined up on the engines' manifold. Thereafter when noon time comes, "HOT MEALS" are ready to be served. "Innovation" is part of our life in VIETNAM. It makes us appreciate and enjoy the simplest amenity of war.

Now, who is "JOHN WAYNE?" For non-veterans, John Wayne is a HOLLYWOOD icon. He is a movie star and his portrayals of american fighting men were superb and natural. On screen,he is victorious in all battlefields whether it be against Indians, Germans, Chinese , Japanese and Vietcong. In short John Wayne epitomizes the grit and the fighting spirit of America's fighting men. In all respect, John Wayne was and still the role model to some american G.I.'s .

However, the "JOHN WAYNE" that I'm referring is not the actor himself. The "JOHN WAYNE" that I'm referring to is a piece of metal that comes with the box of "C-RATS". It has two (2) moving parts about an inch long andhalf an inch wide. Our part is for handling and the other part for cutting or slicing .

It's a "CAN OPENER".

Without it, the "C-RATS" is not complete. It's importance is well expressed at noon time when everyone in the boat is yelling, "WHERE IS JOHN WAYNE?". It is so precious that I kept one with my "DOG TAGS". I have no idea, where, when and who christened this piece of metal as "JOHN WAYNE". Nonetheless, I consider the "NAMESAKE" to be most fitting and appropriate for both. "DURABILITY" could have been the criteria.

Personally, I consider the "NAMESAKE" as a tribute to John Wayne's toughness in real life and on screen as well.

In leiu of this, it is suffice to say that; not only in real life that good things come in pairs. Even in war or hell, "C-RATS" and John Wayne are the perfect pair.

1 comment:

  1. Here is Mr Benjamin contact Email details, 247officedept@gmail.com. / Or Whatsapp +1 989-394-3740 that helped me with loan of 90,000.00 Euros to startup my business and I'm very grateful,It was really hard on me here trying to make a way as a single mother things hasn't be easy with me but with the help of Mr Benjamin put smile on my face as i watch my business growing stronger and expanding as well.I know you may be surprised why I put things like this here but I really have to express my gratitude so anyone seeking financial help or going through hardship with their business or want to start a business project can see this and have hope of getting out of the hardship..Thank You.

    ReplyDelete