Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The BOND with PBR-139








Before the firefight at the GUIAO HOA canal, my communication with EN2 Roy K. Davis (the Boat Captain of PBR-139) was the casual "Hi", "Good Morning", and "Good Luck" during the briefings prior to our patrols. And besides the radio calls during our patrols, all our communications were BLUNT and STOIC. This didn't bother me because I'm USED to being TAKEN FOR GRANTED. Now that the VC's had givern me my first taste of a firefight, my worries were to STAY ALIVE and keep my crew out of harm's way. "Friendship" was NO LONGER my concern.


The crews of PBR-139 and PBR-142 were given a few days off after our encounter at the Guiao Hoa canal. This was to "cool down" the situation. Chances were, with the AMBUSH turning into an EMBARASSMENT for the Vietcongs, they could retaliate in any way or even in a SUICIDAL attempt to get back at both crews. Command HQ did not want to take this chance. Thank God for that.


Normally, our days off were spent doing necessary maintenance work on our boats, particularly on the ENGINES and GUNS. A WELL-CONDITIONED ENGINE is a PBR's main ASSET, giving us the edge over the Vietcongs and their ambushes. It's for this very reason that the engines were THE MAIN TARGET in any encounter with the enemy. If they manage to put the engine out of commission, it greatly DIMINISHES the speed, thus also GREATLY lessens our chances of getting out of the KILLZONE as fast as possible. Every PBR sailor knew that if their engine goes, they would be a "Turkey Shoot" for the enemy.


In lieu of this, I instructed my crew not to OVER CARRY ammunitions. The HEAVIER the LOAD, the SLOWER the boat. Some Boat Captains tended to think otherwise, and more often than not it was TOO LATE for them to realize this fact.


It was almost 5:00 P.M., and with everyone satisfied, the maintenance check was done. The crew of PBR-139 were no longer in the BOAT POOL, so we decided to call it a day. My crew hopped in the service vehicle and headed back to HQ for a hot meal and some rest. I, however, had my mind set for a nice DINNER at the CU LONG restaurant, and "Roasted Young Pigeon" was the order of the day. This restaurant was also walking distance from the BAR STRIP, so, after an enjoyable dinner, I decided the Vietnamese cuties a visit.


There were several "bars" in the strip. For some reason, there was a BAR at the EDGE of the WATERFRONT that became a favorite hang-out particularly for PBR sailors, while other bars were FULL of RVN soldiers and their U.S. Army counterparts. It was PRUDENT and GOOD PRACTICE not to mingle with that group, ESPECIALLY when drinking the potent "Ba Muy Ba". Any misunderstanding could end up in a confrontation, and considering ALL of us carried a SIDEARM, a gunfight was inevitable. So, I decided "...the Bar at The Waterfront it is."


As I entered the bar, I noticed the crew of PBR-139 at the corner table with already a FEW (33!) empty bottles of the famous "Ba Muy Ba", and each member having a Vietnamese cutie at their side. I was about to order my beer, when I heard: "Hey HUK! Come over here and JOIN us!"
I looked over at the direction where the voice was coming from, and I saw EN2 Roy K. Davis, Boat Captain of PBR-139, waving at me.


This time he stood up and waved at me saying: "Come HERE, Huk! Sit with us!" I REALLY wasn't sure what I was feeling at that instant. I was somewhat OFFENDED by what he called me. "HUK" is an acronym or SLANG term for the PHILIPPINE COMMUNIST GUERILLAS. But I thought "What the hell..." He (Davis) most likely had a few beers in him, and I figured that it was the BEER that gave him the urge to invite me over. This wasn't the time for an EGO TRIP, but rather to relax and unwind and have a good time.


As I stood by their table, I could feel the closeness within that crew. EN2 Davis placed his arm on my across my back with his hand on my shoulder and introduced me to the Vietnamese cutie by his side. "Huk, meet Guen. Guen, this is Huk. Huk is my PARTNER!" Everyone around the table LAUGHED upon hearing this, so I asked Davis WHY he called me "Huk".


His reply was: "George...you're no fucking STEWARD. You're a FIGHTER, and I LOVE fighters!" What could I say? I took it as a COMPLIMENT and could only utter "Okay". After a few more Ba Muy Ba's and sea stories, we were all feeling MELLOW and our table was filled with laughter. MORE laughter came when I turned to Davis and said "Davis, you're a fucking REPTILE!" With a puzzled look, his reply was a simple "Why?" And I answered "Well, you chew TOBACCO all day long, and you keep on spitting that SLIMY saliva like a COBRA. So you're no ANIMAL, you're a REPTILE!"


Bursts of laughter came from everyone around the table, and all Davis could say was "GODDAMN YOU, Huk!"


It was getting late in the evening and all of us knew that being DRUNK out of our unit was DANGEROUS. This was WAR, and in addition to that, it was very difficult to distinguish the civilians from the enemy. And being rowdy and out of control and having our guard down would leave us open for a possible ambush. Unlike the other wars, this one had no SPECIFIC BATTLEZONES, with any place having the possibility of being one.


After reminding each other that it was getting late, we paid heed to our own advice and paid our BAR BILLS, kissed our Vietnamese cuties goodbye and started our walk towards our "home-away-from-home", Hotel My Tho, which was only a few blocks away. The light coming from the bars windows and the LAUGHTER and giggles from the GI's, RVN's and their lady friends served as our "background music" on our walk towards home.


"CHICKEN MAAAAAAAAAAANNN! He's everywhere, HE'S EVERYWHERE!!!" This radio program was our "reville" or wake up call every morning.


With a slight HANG-OVER, I woke up my crew to get ready for the morning muster. At ground level, I was surprised to see EN2 Roy K. Davis and his crew, standing at the hotel's gate. I could see the smiles on their faces and heard the words "COME ON, Huk! LET'S HEAD FOR MUSTER!" This never happened before, and hearing these words ignited my spirit with JOY and ASSURANCE that the question of TRUST finally had it's answer. The Guiao Hoa incident had earned me not only FRIENDS, but BROTHERS.


With this, our patrols became more INSPIRED and PRODUCTIVE. Large amounts of CONTRABAND medicines and ammunitions were seized from the enemy. Firefights were a plenty, but through it all, PBR'S 139 and 142 came out with flying colors. The Vietcongs became more aggressive and HOT after out butts. However, the BOND forged between us elevated our FIGHTING SPIRIT and VIGILANCE to a much HIGHER degree. This overcame every trap or ambush, leaving the enemy BEWILDERED and DISGUSTED. Each firefight only STRENGHTENED this bond. I often said to myself "Watch out, VC's! The Huk and the Reptile have BONDED!"

NEXT: How to Identify the Enemy...

No comments:

Post a Comment