Thursday, March 12, 2009

My First Patrol


My first few patrols were merely indoctrinations. I did nothing but observe the actions of the boat captain and crew in regards to the RIVER TRAFFICS during daytime as well as at night. I made my first contact with the RIVER PEOPLE of South Vietnam, and I found them to be a very COMPLEX but INTERESTING people. Besides these observations and the inhospitable weather caused by the monsoon rains, I truly didn't learn much.


At the same time, I could feel the boat captain's DISDAIN, in making these extra patrols. I couldn't really blame him for having this attitude. Enduring these long and risky patrols, in these abominable weather conditions for a year would INEVITABLY take it's TOLL on the human body as well as the SOUL. I can no longer recall the boat captain's name, nontheless, I admired him for keeping his senses INTACT. In lieu of this, after all these day and night patrols, I told Lt. Fuscaldo that I was READY and TOOK COMMAND of PBR 142.


Each patrol is composed of two (2) PBR's. Each boat has four (4) CREW MEMBERS. These are:


BOAT CAPTAIN


GUNNERS MATE


ENGINEMAN


SEAMAN


A PATROL OFFICER (O-2, E-6 or E-7) rides in one of these gunboats and DESIGNATES which is the COVER or LEAD boat. Briefings are done before each patrol, and these are given by either the CO (Commanding Officer) or members of his staff. These briefings include intelligence and information reports in regards to the enemy's (VIETCONGS) movements or activities in the PBR's "patrol zones".


"CALL SIGNS" are designated and "KRYPTO" codes are issued to the Boat Captains. These call signs and codes are vitally important PARTICULARLY on NIGHT PATROLS. The "color codes" at night differentiates the "FRIENDLY from the FOE". Fatal consequences are inevitable, if by any chance, a unit of any friendly force ACCIDENTALLY enter a PBR patrol zone with the WRONG combination of COLOR CODE lights on a dark night.


To be a new member of the crew is quite like a PUZZLE. Although I am the Boat Captain, finding the spot to fit in takes a lot of trial and tact. Unlike my previous sea duties wherein my expertise counts and takes precedence, this new position has nothing to do with it. This time, it calls for the SOUNDNESS of my PHYSICAL and MENTAL capabilities, particularly my wits UNDER FIRE. In lieu of this, I avoided any issue that could lead to an argument, however, in subtle ways, I let them know that I am the one who CALLS THE SHOTS.


I've been through this type of situation over and over again during my previous duties onboard ships. Being a FIL-AM (FILIPINO-AMERICAN) in my particular rating (QUARTERMASTER) often created this enigma. This was due to the fact that most FILIPINOS in the U.S. NAVY are recruited as STEWARDS. Undoubtedly, this was the same perception that my crew had for me.


With this, I knew exactly what they were looking for..."TRUST". Can they TRUST this FIL-AM Boat Captain? They would soon find out...


NEXT: TRUST...

No comments:

Post a Comment