Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The River Rats of Vietnam: THE BRAVEST MEN IN THE WORLD

This is a tribute to the SPECIAL BREED of sailors that served in the United States Navy in her participation in the Vietam War. These are the men of the Brown Water Navy, The RIVER RATS OF VIETNAM.


Unquestionably, the United State Navy's role in all major wars were done in the high seas. However, this role was somewhat changed during the VIETNAM WAR. Instead of the high seas, all the naval battles were in the murky and brown waters of the MEKONG DELTA.


In these brown waters were spilled the blood, sweat and tears of these sailors who, up to this present time, remains un-noticed and un-recognized. The exploits of these sailors never hugged the limelight nor made any headlines in any major news nor newscast.


The ARMY, MARINES and AIRFORCE went into patrols with newscasters in tow and any incident that happened made instant headlines around the world, particularly in the United States. But NONE of those newscasters DARED to go out on patrol with us "River Rats" because there was NO GUARANTEE of safety or amenities in our missions except danger and arduos conditions.


Our patrols were in the enemy's "COMFORT ZONES" which made them very UNCOMFORTABLE , and needless to say us River Rats lived on a "day-to-day" basis due to our being labeled as "Enemy Number One" of the Vietcong. Every time we went on patrol aboard our gunboats (PBR's), there was no guarantee any of us would make it back because we were all MARKED FOR DEATH. I recall General Abrams giving the PBR's the nickname "Floating Coffins".


So you see, the only reason the world knows of our exploits is from the stories, photos and memories of the brave sailors who have fortunately lived through this experience.


I am VERY PROUD to say that I am one of this special breed of sailors. I am GEORGE H. TRONO, QmC USN (Retired) and I am the Boat Commander of PBR 142, one of the units of River Division 532. I am writing on this blog to pay tribute to my fellow comrades GmG3 LUCKET, ENFN FEDE, EN3 BLAIS and others whose names I've already forgotten, but whose memories stay forever in my heart.


To my very special and best friend and Boat Commander of my cover boat, PBR 139, EN2 ROY K. DAVIS, my special Gunner GmG2 DAVID MESHAKO, my engineman LARRY LAFONTAINE and GMSNG GERKEN with whom I shared so many gun battles during the TET OFFENSIVES of 1968 and 1969. And to all the Brown Water sailors or the "River Rats", to whom all the stories that I can still recall, this is a tribute to you all.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What a coincidence. GMG1 Dave Meshako was my Company Commander for recruit group 74-219 in San Diego. He was a great guy, a patient teacher and much nicer than the other CC's I saw there. He never talked about what he did in Vietnam so I had no idea he was a "River Rat".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read that Dave Meshako passed away a long time ago, on November 14, 1991. Had he lived, he'd be 72 in a couple of months. He died in San Diego, which is where he served as my Company Commander when I was in boot camp there in late 1974. He also apparently graduated from San Diego State in 1979, which is the year I got my engineering degree. As I approach my 60th year, I find myself reflecting upon the folks who I remember as making a positive contribution to my life. Dave Meshako certainly was one of them. Wish I could thank him for being the great CC he was. I'm sure the rest of the guys in recruit group 74-219 would like to have done the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this info, I'm David Fountain of Cape Neddick, Maine...I was named after my uncle David Meshako, my mom's oldest brother. I didn't know much about my uncle so it was nice to find this info on his war experiences.

    ReplyDelete