Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Fire-FIGHT...or Fire-FLIES?!


Inspection of river traffic was only a part of the PBR's role in the Vietnam War. Although it's an ARDUOS job, I also consider it the SAFEST. The OTHER parts are the ones that give you "goose-pimples" just by thinking about it. These are the NIGHT PATROLS, PSYCHOLOGICAL WARFARE, INSERTION of the ARMY LRRP's, INSERTION of the NAVY S.E.A.L.'s, special operations and NIGHT AMBUSHES.


Any of these were a GUARANTEE for a firefight. However, in some bizarre twist of events, these operations become a COMEDY of errors and laughter.


It was one of those November nights with overcast skies and intermittent rain. PBR -139 and PBR-142 were to rendevouz with two (2) other PBR's in order to set up an ambush at the upper CU DAI for an expected VC crossing. All the details were already discussed in the evening briefing, and it was only a matter of time to put the plan into action. The crews of PBR's 139 and 142 had been through several of these ambushes, as well as BEING AMBUSHED, before. These experiences were NOT GUARANTEE's that the operation would go smoothly.


In War, EXPERIENCE only CALMS the SENSES. It's not a SHIELD from the enemy's bullets. I can say that all of us were TENSE and JITTERY.


It's hypocritical to say that I wasn't SCARED. I felt like PEEING IN MY PANTS everytime we were in this type of operation. However, being the Boat Captain, I could not let my crew see or feel that from me. I learned to CONTROL my fear. Our lives depended on how I handled our boat in any tight situation.


Waiting for the signal to take our positions at the river bank was like ETERNITY. In altruism, we are all wishing for any type of intervention, even a DIVINE intervention, for the signal NOT to come. When it came, all I've heard from my crew was deep sigh of "...Oh, shit..."


EN2 Davis with PBR-139 went into ambush position first. PBR -142 followed and took position approximately 30 yards to her port. The third PBR soon took her position on the OTHER side of the canal approximately 50 yards to PBR-139's STARBOARD. I'm not too sure of the boat captain's name. All I can think of was SMI KUHN.


Now it was the fouth PBR's turn to take position. The Boat Captain was SMI MILES. Both SMI Kuhn and SMI Miles were NEW to the country and a bit COCKY. As soon as SMI Miles' boat hit the river bank, the area LIT UP and ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE. "Tracers" were ALL OVER the place. PBR-139 and PBR-142 instantly got out from their ambush position and was about to make a firing run to support the two PBR's, when commands of "Cease Fire! Cease Fire!" echoed in our radioes.


When all the shooting STOPPED, to our surprise, the area was STILL LIT UP. However, the lights were FLYING back and forth to and from the SAME bushy spot. Only then did we realize that it was bush full of FIREFLIES. This is what SMI NILES' boat hit on the river bank, and mistook those for gunfire. All of us sped to the middle of Cu Dai, came alongside and assessed the situation. We couldn't help but LAUGH. The patrol officers decided that it was better off to return to our respective patrol areas for the rest of the night.


It was a night of laughter because in all the memories of WAR, we were the ONLY ONES who could say that we had a FIREFIGHT WITH FIREFLIES. Only then had I realized that I had pee'd in my pants.


For the VIETCONGS? Well, I'm sure that the sounds of the forward .50's coming from SMI NILES' gunboat sent them a clear message of what was waiting for them had they tried to cross the river. They were no fools. Since then, no more A-I reports have been reported. This was GOOD NEWS for all of us.


For SMI NILES? Well, I'm sure that his EGO took a hit and his PRIDE was HURT. But he was man enough to take the JOKES with a SMILE. He laughed each time the incident came up in a conversation.


For ME? I just chalked it all up to EXPERIENCE. I knew this "cat-and-mouse" game between us and the VIETCONGS was still FAR from being OVER. They would still transport troops, ammunitions, medicines, etc... across the river anyway that they could. It was just a matter of time. However, I was DAMN SURE that each time that they tried, they would CROSS THE VOLLEY OF FIRE from the PBR's!!! It didn't matter WHICH PBR, as long as the VIETCONGS did NOT make it across the river.


About the FIREFLIES...? Well, I know that this incident could only happen once. To dwell on it and become complacent is an invitaion to disaster. However, I'll be a HYPOCRITE to say that I didn't leave my hopes open to see those wonderful critters of the night AGAIN!!!


NEXT: PISTOL PACKIN' MAMA!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment